The Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort in Aruba, Caribbean is the first hotel in the world to win the Global United Nations 2020 Climate Neutral Now Award. To achieve this award, the carbon neutral reviewed of all of their operating procedures and made changes which are easily replicable for other resorts or hotels, businesses and households – such as extensive solar panel use, grey water sanitisation and reuse for irrigation, healthy food portions reduce food waste by 30%, eco-fitness treadmills and exercise bikes in the gym generate kilowatts for the resorts energy grid, local purchasing, food waste is given to local farmers as animal feed, in-room energy management systems and sensors, waste diversion through recycling and repurposing.
Designed by DADA, the resort design incorporated up to 95% recycled materials in it’s most recent renovations. Every project undertaken at the resort are overseen by the resort’s full time sustainability and certifications manager
The resort regularly hosts tour groups to inspire others to implement their own sustainability initiatives.
– CarbonNeutral certified for it’s carbon neutral operations
– LEED Silver certified (operations and maintenance) and Green Globe certified
– 95% of materials used are recycled
– Sourcing local suppliers and products
– Solar panels used to heat water in guest rooms and laundry
– Water and energy efficient fixtures throughout the resort
– Re-use of grey water, treated then used as garden irrigation
– Energy saving equipment and appliances
– Timers and sensors on lights and heating/cooling equipment
– Use of paper filters for pool filtration – 1/10 water used with back washing
– Heavily involved in local animal preservation programs and children’s orphanage
– Water coolers and water canteens given to guests, helps save use of 290,000 plastic water bottles per year
– Reduction of paper in office, paperless where possible
– No disposable items used in kitchen/bars
– Eco friendly cleaning products
– Eco tours for schools
– Recycling furniture and materials where possible
– Purchasing in bulk to reduce packaging requirements
– Guest can participate in beach clean ups, opt in for the Green Stay Program plus get involved in the other sustainability initiates offered
– All food waste is given to local farmers to be used as animal feed
We are not in the tourism business; we are in the nature business.
If we do not stop global warming, guests will need snorkels to see our world-famous beach!