The Longhouse is a 110 meter linear shed which houses a home, a boutique farm, garden kitchen, cooking school and reception venue. Set on a 20 acre property in Daylesford, Victoria which looks out over rolling paddocks to bushland, the majestic views belie a harsh environment which is difficult to manage.
The owners moved to the area to pursue their interests in agriculture and hospitality so architects Partners Hill came up with the ingenious solution of combining the elements of everyday living – working, storage and making under one roof, referencing a Palladian tradition. This giant greenhouse resolves an unworkable list of hurdles, from agressive weather conditions, sparadic rainfall, grazing local fauna and shallow planting depths by providing a built form ‘big enough and protected enough for the landscape to flourish, inside’.
You must check out the website for the Longhouse! The tours and cooking school sound fantastic. Actually, it ALL sounds fantastic – think I’ll be adding Daylesford Longhouse to my list of places to stay. www.daylesfordlonghouse.com.au
Related story: Conservatory House in Pretoria by Nadine Engelbrecht
– Rainwater harvested in 340,000 tanks and used in the building and for firefighting
– Built to passive house standards with minimal heating and cooling requirements
– Constructed with minimal footings with a gravel floor
– Future provision for solar array and battery storage to allow the building to be off-grid
– Differing types of cladding optimise solar penetration and shading
– Windows and large openings control ventilation
– Flexibility in how to use the spaces
The farm’s various agricultural and hospitality activities are consolidated in a single 110m long mannered shed. The internalized productive landscape is afforded protection from the locale’s hostility, rainfall is harvested and stored to ensure regular supply.
Nadine is the founder and editor of Eco Edition and founder of the Eco Edition Design School. She’s an experienced interior designer, sustainable materials consultant, speaker and serial home renovator.