Welcome to the Jungle House in Darlington, Sydney is an absolute master class in sustainable design and was the 2019 winner of the Australian National Sustainability Awards in 2 categories. This house has been designed as a “machine of sustainability”, with a range of passive and active systems working together to ensure the home operates efficiently in terms of energy consumption while still maintaining an exceptional level of thermal comfort and livability.
CplusC Architectural Workshop have designed the sustainable systems to be easy to use and low on maintenance and serves as a example of how to integrate sustainability to buildings of any scale.
If you’d like to visually walk through this house, head over to the _cplusc_ instagram page and watch the Better Homes and Gardens segment on the house. It will blow your little green mind!
There are so many things to love about this house. What do you like the most?
– 4.2kW solar panels mounted on the external facade provide ample renewable energy for the house
– 3000L underground water tank
– Aquaponics fish pond
– Smart irrigation system which is hooked up to a weather app and waters the garden according to the forecasted weather
– Rooftop garden, vegetable garden, beehive, compost
– Thick masonry wall to provide thermal mass cooling and heating
– Ground floor underfloor heating which radiates up the stairwell to heat the house
– The stairwell is used to provide natural ventilation using a stack effect
– Robust, natural materials which require little if any maintenance
– Electric car charging station
Architecture that is not only beautiful: an architecture which generates and stores power; an architecture which harvests and recycles water; an architecture which produces fruit, vegetables, sh and eggs; an architecture which recycles and reuses the waste it produces. Architecture that nourishes the mind, body and soul. Architecture where landscape, food, nature, garden, environment, energy, waste, water and beauty exist symbiotically.
Nadine is the founder and editor of Eco Edition and founder of the Eco Edition Design School. She’s an experienced interior designer, sustainable materials consultant, speaker and serial home renovator.